August 9, 2010

"I Could've Been a Contender!!!"

A few large cups of coffee, pleas for help from others, and lots of laughter later, my friend and I finally came up with a name for this blog. I thought I'd share some of the others, though. Some are still quite creative, some are...well... not the best, and some just got us giggling. In no specific order:

Insights from an English Teacher
You know those pleas for help? One of them went out via facebook, and this was one of the responses. Although I am an English teacher, and I like to think I'm good enough to create a blog filled with meaningful tips and encouraging stories, there are some issues with this:
1. I am a good teacher, I'm just not that great of a teacher.
2. While my life, from August - June does revolve around the classroom, there is more to me than just teaching English, and I have a bit of a rebellious streak in me that refuses to allow myself to be pigeonholed.

Bridesmaidzilla Rides Again
This one gave me the giggles. Big time. While it's true that I have been a bridesmaid more times than I want to admit, I hope and pray that I never was bridesmaidzilla (think Godzilla dressed in taffeta and 3-inch heels, destroying Tokyo). My heart skipped a beat when I first read the idea, seeing as it was suggested by a friend for whom I was a bridesmaid, but luckily she assured me that it was supposed to be ironic...as I was the best bridesmaid ever (suuuuure, I was...).

A Helping of Spaghetti
This one was truly a contender, and I still really like it. There's a book out there called Men Are Like Waffles--Women Are Like Spaghetti, written by Bill and Pam Ferrel, and it's actually quite interesting. Ever have one of those conversations with a group of women and wondered about the road-map of said conversation? How you could be discussing car maintenance one minute and then Great Aunt Ruth's beard the next? I know I have...well, the book maintains that in the female brain, all our thoughts and ideas are interconnected, kind of like a plate of spaghetti. Considering that this is to be MY blog, and I plan to write about...well, whatever I'm thinking of at the moment, spaghetti seemed quite fitting.

Follow the Rabbit Trail
Kinda the same thought as "A Helping of Spaghetti," only not as non-sequiter. Still, it didn't quite have that... Je ne sais quoi.

Blogging on the Inside
A few years ago, I fell in love with Steve Carlson's music (he speaks to me). He has a song, "Wasted Jamie," in which the first line is, "I'm groovin' on the inside... ." I've always had a running commentary in my head, kinda like my own silent blog, so I thought I was being...cheeky...with this one. Turns out, Steve's mom, the amazing, illustrious Sandra Carlson, has her own blog (and twitter, by the way), and her byline? "Blogging on the Inside." Well, she IS his mom, so I can't hold that big of a grudge, can I?

There you have it...the good, the bad, and the...well...the ones that probably should never be spoken of, ever again...

0 comments:

Post a Comment