September 3, 2010

The Kids Are Alright...

A rather large earthquake hit New Zealand today. 7.4 was the initial magnitude; its epicenter was 18-ish miles from where my loved ones reside.

That SCARED me. G is my cousin, but she's more like a sister; her boys call me "Auntie Jane." Her husband, M, was my first boss...well, my boss for my first "grown-up-after-college-actually-using-my-degree" job. I have spent many an hour sitting at their kitchen counter in NZ, drinking hot tea, and talking (and talking and talking) with G about everything - from first crushes to car accidents.

Their house is a haven for me; although it's thousands of miles away, when I think of a place that brings me peace, their kitchen counter is number one on my list.

For a few hours, I couldn't reach them. I had no idea if they were fine, picking up the pieces of their lives, or lying injured...or worse...in a pile of rubble.

That text message beep from G was the greatest sound I've ever heard. The house is a mess; earthquakes have a way of making sure nothing stays where it should, but it's structurally sound, and no one was injured.

I can now breathe again; I think I stopped for a while there...

0 comments:

Post a Comment